Skip to content

Meeting 2018-01-29 Minutes

Things to announce

  • Tech day this weekend
    • Dave Oakley still hasn't confirmed level 2 :(
      • He hasn't gotten back to us about it even though he said he would
    • Action Point: Send an email to teams hopefully today (but it needs to be reviewed).
  • RUBS
    • SCRO has some boxes now
    • 13* 18L
    • 2 * 35L
  • Summerschool updates
    • Yvonne and Heather are in charge of Smallpeice this year.
      • Replacing Rikki and Adriana
      • Tyler will meet with them at some point to replace them.

Thing to discuss

  • Send an email about the Tech Days.
    • Action Point: Send an email to teams hopefully today (but it needs to be reviewed).
    • Tell them what's happening, we've got a location but are trying to find a better one.
  • Science and engineering family day
    • We're planning on running an event where students program robots to follow a maze.
      • Blockly (like scratch, but builds code from prebuilt blocks we provide)
      • Event is on the 10th of March.
    • SSI event
      • They're running a robotics event too. If we're at the same location, they could do the easy stuff and we could do the harder stuff?
      • we can discuss with them about if we want to collaborate with them.
    • Action point: order 7 t-shirts
  • Discuss custom arduino firmware process (slightly related to https://github.com/sourcebots/robot-api/issues/49)
    • Update shipping:
      • We'll delay until Monday
      • Test the hell out of it on Saturday!
    • We'll ship Peter's PR which adds this feature.
      • Needs full-stack testing
      • Needs docs (Jake can probably do this)
    • Action point: Kier to test it today.
  • Discuss potential performance bottlenecks (https://github.com/sourcebots/robot-api/issues/51)
    • Action Point: Benchmark the performance
      • Things which are performance critical should be done on the arduino, not the pi. We shouldn't waste time on this
  • GDPR review

Things to do

  • EMF tickets
    • go on sale in 10 minutes.
  • Arrange mentoring
    • 3 teams are interested in mentoring
    • Action Point: Andy to send out a Doodle Poll.
  • Platforms review
    • Software: GitHub vs Trello vs Mailing list, etc...
    • website platform review
      • A decision was made to change the platform of the website again (Wordpress -> GH pages)
      • Tyler is confused that this wasn't broadcast (wasn't in the minutes)
        • Are the tradeoffs worth it?
        • It's harder for non-techs to edit things on GH-Pages
        • GDPR affects both platforms equally, however Netlify isn't primarily in the UK (US based)
  • Ship the new software
    • Work out what needs to go on the update
    • Action Point: Write a changelog with any potential breaking changes highlighted
    • Action Point: Choose who should do what things.
    • Action Point (Saturday): Roadmap on software
  • Sort out the cupboard
  • Order food

Misc

  • Next bunfight - advertise to the audience
    • Audience primarily to non-technical people at the SUSU bunfight, and to technical people at the FPSE bunfight